What is self confidence?
- Self-esteem: the belief that you are valuable, worthwhile and capable
- The optimism that comes when you are certain of your abilities
- Empowered by these, act courageously to face a challenge head-on.
Is self confidence a skill (that you can develop) or a personal trait?
A person’s confidence level is impacted by:
- What you’re born with (your genes)
- How you’re treated (the environment)
- The part you have control over: the choices you make, the risks you take and how you think about and respond to challenges and setbacks
In what ways does feeling confident help a person succeed in their every day life?
Do we have the power to cultivate our own confidence?
How can a person develop self-confidence?
- Repetition and practice without accepting failure.
- Taking risks and responding positively to challenges and setbacks.
3 Tips to Boost Your Confidence
3 Tips to Boost Your Confidence:
1. Try a quick fix: tricks that can give you an immediate confidence boost in the short term, for example-
Picture your success when you’re beginning a difficult task.
Simple things like listening to music with deep base, which can promote feelings of power.
Strike a powerful pose or give yourself a pep talk.
2. Believe in your ability to improve.
Your beliefs about your abilities and talents matter because they can influence how you act when you’re faced with setbacks.
If you have a fixed mindset, meaning that you think your talents are locked in place, you might give up, assuming you’ve discovered something you’re not very good at. But if you have a growth mindset, and you think your abilities can improve, a challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow.
3. Practice failure
Studies show that those who fail regularly and keep trying anyway are better equipped to respond to challenges and setbacks in a constructive way. They learn how to try different strategies, ask others for advise and persevere.
The excitement you’ll feel knowing that whatever the result, you’ll have gained better knowledge and understanding. This is confidence.