- How does it work?
- Is it on the market and how much does it cost?
- Why is there a need for it?
- Is it reliable?
In a few years, autonomous cars will drive freely on the road. An autonomous car is a car that senses its surroundings and can drive itself without help from human hands. The cars of the future use radar, GPS, computer vision, and more to drive around other cars, notice traffic lights, and look out for people walking on the road. The technology is great, but when we already have cars that work, why do we need ones that drive themselves?
Around the world, about 1.3 million people die from car accidents every year, and about 20-50 million people are hurt. In theory, computer-run cars are safer for travelers. Companies such as Tesla, Google, and Audi are hoping to lower the number of accidents by inventing these cars. This is because these cars react much faster to their surroundings than humans can. Another reason these cars are safer is that other cars, objects or people on the road don’t easily distract the car when it’s driving. Driverless cars could also help people who cannot drive get from point A to point B. The car, which will work like a taxi, will pick them up and drop them off wherever they wish.
The cars are still in the testing stages, but people can buy autonomous cars beginning in 2019. Prices will range from $20,000 for a semi-autonomous Honda Civic to $120,000 for a Google car.
We will be able to trust autonomous cars more than humans driving the cars themselves because the computers will follow the rules of the road and pay close attention to other cars. It is still too early to tell if we will be able to trust them in all kinds of weather. But so far, the cars cannot drive in snow or heavy rain.
One thing we know for sure is that driving will be different. Passengers can sleep, read, eat, or even be on their phones during the journey. Whether you would prefer to watch the car drive, or watch youtube videos, autonomous cars are something that will take some time getting used to.
- What will it affect the driving experience?
- Do you prefer to be in control and enjoy the driving experience of a regular car or sit back and let the car take you?
Complete with the right word
vision, follow the rules, travelers , trust, accidents, testing stages, surroundings, journey, Driverless, lower, accidents
- An autonomous car is a car that senses its _____________ and can drive itself.
- Passengers can sleep, read, eat, or even be on their phones during the _____________.
- We will be able to _____________ autonomous cars more than humans driving the cars.
- Autonomous cars _____________ of the road and pay close attention to other cars.
- The cars are still in the _____________, but people can buy autonomous cars beginning in 2019.
- _____________ cars could also help people who cannot drive get from point A to point B.
- These cars are safer because things on the road don’t easily _____________ the car when it’s driving.
- Audi hopes to _____________ the number of accidents by inventing these cars.
- Autonomous cars are safer for _____________.
- Around the world, about 1.3 million people die from car _____________ every year.
- The cars of the future use radar, GPS, computer _____________.