Read the Story, pg. 11
Omer: Hi, Dana. Listen to this story. I read it on the Internet. Do you think it’s true?
A few years ago a policeman in America needed a dog to help him with his police work. He decided to get a good police dog from Israel. He knew that dogs that are trained in Israel are the best.
He was lucky. In Israel he got a beautiful, three-year-old German Shepherd and he took it to the U.S.A. But then the trouble started. The dog didn’t understand what the policeman said. The policeman learned the commands in Hebrew, but the dog still didn’t understand.
The policeman didn’t know what to do. Then he had an idea. He went to a rabbi. He asked the rabbi to teach him how to say the commands correctly in Hebrew. It was amazing! The dog understood the policeman and everyone was happy.
Dana: No way! I’m sure that story isn’t true.
Omer: You’re wrong! The story is true. The dog’s name is Miky. He was born in Holland and he was trained in Israel. A policeman named John Fosket adopted him in Israel. Miky is now the star dog of the Montana Police Department. Policeman Fosket and Miky even helped out during a visit by President Obama. You can see the story on YouTube.
Dana: Wow, that’s a great story. Send me the link – I want to watch it!
A. Complete the fact file about Miky.
- Type of dog: German Shepherd
- Where he was born:
- ֿWhere he works
- Language he understands:
B. Number the sentences in the order that they happened
a. The rabbi taught Officer Fosket how to say the commands in Hebrew.
b. Officer Fosket brought Miky to the U.S.A.
c. Officer Fosket and Miky helped out during a visit by President Obama.
d. Officer Fosket got Miky in Israel.
e. Officer Fosket spoke to Miky in English.
C Answer the questions.
1. Why did policeman Fosket need a dog?
2. What problem did policeman Fosket and Miky have
3. Why did policeman Fosket go to a rabbi?
4. a. Is Miky doing a good job?
b. How do you know?
D What else would you like to know about Miky?
Put the verbs in Past Simple
- I _____________ (read) this story on the internet.
- A few years ago a policeman in America _____________ (need) a dog to help him with his police work.
- He _____________ (decide) to get a good police dog from Israel.
- He _____________ (know) that dogs that are trained in Israel are the best.
- He _____________ (be) lucky.
- In Israel, he _____________ (get) a beautiful, three-year old German Shepherd.
- He _____________ (take) it to the USA.
- But then, the trouble _____________ (start).
- The dog _____________ (not, understand) what the policeman said.
- The policeman _____________ (learn) the commands פקודות in Hebrew.
- But the dog still _____________ (not, understand).
- The policeman _____________ (not, know) what to do.
- Then he _____________ (have) an idea.
- He _____________ (go) to a rabbi.
- He _____________ (asked) the rabbi to teach him how to say the commands correctly in Hebrew.
- It was amazing! The dog _____________ (understand) the policeman and everyone _____________ (be) happy.
- Miky the dog _____________ (be) born in Holland and policemen _____________ (bring) him to Israel to train him.
- The policeman and Miky even _____________(help out) during a visit by president Obama.